Sunday, January 5, 2014

When is a Weekend a Day?

… When that weekend is super freakin' cold.


Propane heater, Honey Wafers, and my Outdoor Research down jacket.
A rough day for bouldering


Caleb and I left for Joe's Valley on Thursday psyched for a long weekend of bouldering. We knew it was supposed to be cold, but bouldering with a high in the upper 30's wasn't too daunting. We generally pride ourselves in being able to climb in the cold.  We arrived on Thursday with just enough light to get a 45min. session in. We both sent a few warm-ups and I sent a crimpy V9 called "Hooters".

We started Friday back at Hooters, where I tried to do the sit-start, Mass Hysteria (V11). I got close, but figured I had two more days, so I would just come back later…WRONG! But I didn't know that yet. Despite starting off by not-sending, the rest of the day turned out to be one of the better bouldering days I've ever had. In an afternoon I was able to send: Frosted Flakes (V5), Pilot Light (V6), Tubesnake Boogy (V9), The Incredible Hulk (V9), Fiery Furnace (V10), Jitterbug Perfume (V10 2nd try), and Skidmark (V11).

Caleb got some footage of most of the ascents. You can see that HERE because I can't figure out how to embed a Vimeo video on the blog.

The next day it got REALLY cold and it had snowed overnight. I didn't have a thermometer, but the windchill made it feel like 20's. It was impossible to get the fingers warmed up and the wind kept blowing out the propane heater. No bueno. With the next day looking even colder, we decided to bail. Now I am typing this and we are watching kung-fu movies. NICE!

Caleb working "Fiddle" V9


No comments:

Post a Comment