Sunday, January 19, 2014

Weekend Update 1/19/14

I went bouldering this weekend! Hooray!

I love bouldering.

On Saturday Keith and I went to the Poudre Canyon to climb on the Against Humanity boulder. Poudre is AMAZING. The rock is very high quality and climbs very well. We both flashed the classic V7, Against Humanity. I was able to also send Crime (V9) and Dump Truck (V10). Both Crime and Dump Truck end with a brutal undercling match and subsequent huck around a corner to an okay hold. I struggled super hard on this section for both climbs. I don't know if it is my biceps or body positioning (I'm pretty sure it is the latter), but dang, powerful underclings are not my jam. Definitely something I am going to be working on now.

Keith Dickey working through the undercling crux on Crime (V9)


Today I went over to The Darkside in Morrison for the first time with Kyle, his new wife Sierra, and my buddy Mike. We started off at Rupture, an awesome V6/7 with a scary landing. I flashed it and both Kyle and Mike made ascents. Then Mike and I wasted some time climbing a terrible, lame, and awkward 1-move V6 problem that is certainly a "first ascent" because no one in their right mind would ever think to climb something so lowball and nonsensical. We then headed over to the main objective. The sit start to the Arrowhead Arete (V10). The Arrowhead Arete is probably the best line in Morrison. It is tall and aesthetic, the rock is high quality, the top-out is technical and committing, every move is consistently hard on cool holds, and the landing is nice. I was able to send fairly quickly, though I had to do a lot of beta tweaking in order to have enough gas at the end to handle the lip encounter. Mike got some great footage of the send, which you can see HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment