Friday, September 20, 2013

Back In Gunnison

After getting overly frustrated with the conditions at Mill Creek we made a snap decision, packed up, and left for Gunnison on Wednesday afternoon.

Upon arriving in Gunnison Wednesday evening Ben and I met up with another friend of mine for an evening bouldering session at Real Lost Canyon just outside of town. RLC is a unique sandstone area that a few friends and I "rediscovered" a few years ago. I put up some of my favorite boulder problems here an used the area as an outdoor training facility. It was really fun to go back to those boulder problems and see where I am compared to where I was before I blew up my pulleys. The verdict? My fingers are still significantly weaker than before, but I guess that is to be expected. Fortunately I have a good amount of time left on the trip, and I have places like RLC, that got me strong before, to get me strong again.

Oh, and guess what!?

I got on Cobra Strike yesterday! I almost sent it! Three times! Hopefully it will go down today.

If/When I send I will write a longer post about the history of the route (which I think is cool). For now though, this is the roue that I blew up my pulleys on a year and a half ago. Every time I pull the move that I hurt myself on, I can "hear" my pulleys popping and my stomach gets tight. It is terrifying. I keep doing it though. My finger has been doing well, but I am hyper conscious of the pressure in my left ring finger. Being back on the route I can absolutely understand how I injured myself. The left hand crimp is almost perfectly designed for ring finger destruction. I have to keep trying. I'm so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment