Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mini Phase Wrap-up




After a 4 week mini-phase of strength/power training with Andrew, The two of us have noticed some huge differences. Good things and bad things. First of all...so strong! On our first evening back to regular "fun" climbing, both Andrew and I noticed big increases in overall grip strength and upper body power. On the downside, we also noticed a significant DECREASE in overall climbing technique. For myself I really noticed a lack of full body awareness in relation to my core. Especially on moves with a more "3 dimensional" quality. Which makes sense considering I have been training almost exclusively on a single plane system board. Fortunately, as the evening session went on, we both felt our movement skills returning. I am sure that will continue as we break away from the system board for a while.

I am most excited by the fact that I could even start training again. It has been almost a year now since I injured my finger(s) and it feels good to be able to try hard again. I'm still not 100% which is why the training phase was only 4 weeks (as opposed to 6-8weeks). Hopefully as my fingers continue to improve I will be able to train my fingers more specifically.

At some point I will post the workouts Andrew and I did. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment